It’s a detailed, time consuming recipe if you don’t manage your time properly. I know because the first time I made this, I didn’t have an overall strategy and it took me forever! Please see the Time Management suggestions, then get the details for each individual step below 🙂
Complete List of Ingredients:
- 2.5 – 3 lbs pork ribs (I used baby back ribs, bone in)
- Soft flour tortillas (10 pack)
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Brown sugar
- 2 bottles of Mexican Coke
- Apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- Tomato sauce
- Salsa verde
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh lime
- Fresh cilantro
- Low-sodium chicken broth (or Better Than Bouillon)
- 2 cans diced green chilies
- 2 cans black beans
- Uncooked, long-grain, white rice
- Optional: Liquid smoke (I use hickory flavor)
- Optional: Avocados
- Optional: Lettuce
- Optional: Pico de Gallo
- Optional: Marinate ribs in Coke.
- Step 1: Cook Ribs in the Instant Pot. Approximate time needed, 1 hour.
- Step 2: Make Enchilada Sauce (if using homemade). Approximate time needed, 40 minutes.
- Step 3: Remove Ribs from Instant Pot. Discard liquid and shred meat.
- Step 4: Place shredded meat, 1/2 bottle of Mexican Coke, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 can of diced green chilis and 10 oz of red enchilada sauce in crock pot. Stir to combine, the cover and place on “Slow Cooker” setting for 2 hours.
- Step 5: While meat is slow cooking, prepare black beans according to recipe below.
- Step 6: While black beans are simmering, begin to prepare Cilantro Rice recipe below.
- Step 7: While black beans and rice are simmering/cooling, prepare Creamy Salsa Verde below.
- Step 8: Preheat oven to 450.
- Step 9: Remove meat from Slow Cooker, combine with half of the black beans and half of the cilantro rice.
- Step 10: Spread 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce in the base of the pan you will use to cook the enchiladas.
- Step 11: Add 1/8 of the mixture to the center of one tortilla and roll into the pan.
- Step 12: Repeat until pan is filled with 8 tortillas.
- Step 13: Pour Creamy Verde Sauce over the tops of tortilla rolls.
- Step 14: Cover with 1 cup of freshly shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.
- Step 15: Place in oven, uncovered.
- Step 16: Prepare any desired toppings – chopped lettuce, guacamole, pico de gallo, etc.
- Step 17: Bake for approximately 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Step 18: Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then serve with desired toppings.
Individual Component Recipes:
Shredded Pork Rib Ingredients:
- 2.5 – 3 lbs pork ribs (I used baby back ribs, bone in)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar (divided)
- 2 bottles of Mexican Coke (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I use hickory flavor)
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce ( Use store-bought or my recipe below)
Shredded Pork Rib Instructions
- Optional: Marinate ribs in a ziplock bag with 1.5 bottles of Mexican coke for a couple of hours prior to cooking.
- Step 1: Pat ribs dry with paper towels and remove membrane.
- Step 2: In a small bowl, mix olive oil, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper into a paste and rub over ribs.
- Step 3: Pour 1.5 bottles of coke, 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke (if desired) into instant pot.
- Step 4: Add a trivet to the bottom of the instant pot to rest ribs above liquid. Place ribs in Instant Pot curling so bone side faces center, meaty side is facing out.
- Step 5: Pressure cook on high for 25 minutes. Allow to slow release for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes of slow release, allow for quick release and open lid.
- Drain the liquid out of the instant pot. I take the entire pot out, and pour the libs into a colander, draining the liquid but keeping ribs intact. Ribs should be falling off the.bone for easy separation.
- Discard bones and place the rib meat back into the instant pot. Shred lightly with a fork.
- Add remaining 1/2 bottle of Coke, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 10 oz of enchilada sauce, 1 can of diced green chilis (no draining) to the pot and place on slow cooker setting for 2 hours.
- After two hours, shred and stir, then push “Sauté ” setting on Instant Pot. Allow liquid to come to a boil and thicken.
Red Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth (or 1.5 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon and 1.5 cups of water)
(Leftover sauce can be refrigerated for two days).
Red Enchilada Sauce Instructions:
- Step 1: Heat canola oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Step 2: Once oil is shimmering, whisk in flour.
- Step 3: Whisk in chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Step 4: Slowly pour in tomato sauce, constantly whisking.
- Step 5: Slowly pour in chicken broth, constantly whisking. (Or 1.5 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon and 1.5 cups of water)
- Step 6: Bring to boil.
- Step 7: Reduce heat to simmer, stir occasionally, and allow sauce to thicken, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Black Bean Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 oz) can black beans
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or 1.5 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Low Sodium and 1.5 cups of water)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
Black Bean Instructions:
- Step 1: Heat oil over medium in a small dutch oven or pan.
- Step 2: Add chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Step 3: Add black beans and chicken broth. Heat on high until it begins to boil, then reduce heat heat.
- Step 4: Add cilantro, cumin and salt. Stir, Reduce temperature and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Step 5: Garnish with more cilantro if desired.
Cilantro Rice Ingredients:
- 1.5 cup rice uncooked, long-grain, white rice
- 1 teaspoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt (to taste)
Cilantro Rice Instructions:
- Step 1: Rinse rice until water runs clear.
- Step 2: Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat, stir in garlic and allow to saute for 1 minute. Stir in rice and allow rice to toast for a minute or two. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Step 3: Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Step 4: Mix lime juice, sugar and cilantro together, pour over rice mixture, then stir and fluff with a fork until combined.
- Step 5: Add salt to taste.
Creamy Verde Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 8 ounces salsa verde
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
Creamy Verde Sauce Instructions:
- Step 1: Add all ingredients to a sauté pan and turn up the heat to boil.
- Step 2: Reduce heat, add cream cheese and sour cream and stir until combined.
- Step 3: Allow to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Step 1: Preheat Oven to 450 degrees.
- Step 2: Spread 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce over the bottom of a baking pan.
- Step 3: Place 2 Tbsps pork, 2 Tbsps beans, 1 Tbsp shredded cheese in center of each tortilla and roll up.
- Step 4: Repeat until the pan is full.
- Step 5: Pour Creamy Verde Sauce over enchiladas, then top with 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese.
- Step 6: Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Step 7: Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Step 8: Serve with your choice of slices of avocado or guacamole, lettuce and/or pico de gallo.